Local Delivery Antibiotics
Periodontal disease is a serious infection under your gumline. Drs. Palermo-Edwards & Cacchillo, may recommend the use of Arestin® based on your disease presentation and history of treatment. Arestin® (minocycline hydrochloride, a tetracycline derivative) is an antibiotic that kills the bacteria that cause the infection. Sometimes bacteria penetrates into the gum tissue and can’t be removed by professional cleaning only.
- It’s placed directly in the infected areas—or “pockets”—in your gums.
- It’s applied right after scaling and root planing, the dental procedure that disrupts stubborn plaque and bacteria below your gum line—where brushing and flossing can’t reach.
Arestin® starts working quickly, right at the source of infection, and keeps fighting bacteria long after you leave the dental office. 1,2
Arestin® fights infection and inflammation for 30 days,2 and provides significantly better results than scaling and root planing alone for up to 90 days.3
1. Oringer RJ, Al-Shammari KF, Aldredge WA, et al. Effect of locally administered minocycline microspheres on markers of bone resorption. J Periodontol 2002;73:835-842.
2. Goodson JM, Gunsollwy JC, Grossi SG, et al. Minocycline HCl microspheres reduce red-complex bacteria in periodontal disease therapy. J Periodontol 2007;78(8):1568-1579.
3. Williams RC, Paquette DW, Offenbacher S, et al. Treatment of periodontitis by local administration of minocycline microspheres: a controlled trial. J Periodontol 2001;72:1535-1544.